Rattle: Installation on Macintosh OS X (Leopard and Lion)
- Marco Ghislanzoni Aug 2014, Mac OS X 10.9.4, R 3.1.1, XQuartz, GTK
- Seb Kopf Jun 2014, Mac OS X 10.9.4, R 3.1.1, XQuartz, GTK 2.24
Please ensure you have at least
- Mac OS/X 10.9.4
- XQuartz instead of X11 (installed via website and not Homebrew)
- R 3.1.1 GUI 1.63 Snow Leopard build (6660)
- GTK 2.24.17-X11
- install.packages("rattle", repos="http://rattle.togaware.com", type="source”)
- Install R
- Startup R and then > install.packages("RGtk2")
- Restart R and then > library("rattle")
The rest of the required libraries get installed as you use Rattle. We install RGtk2 and the Gtk libraries separately as they can take some time to download and install.
The details are below.
Dev ReleaseThe latest development version is available directly from Togaware:
> install.packages("rattle", repos="http://rattle.togaware.com", type="source")
If you have issues with Rattle, then installing the latest development version is probably a good place to start.
1. Install Latest R
The first step is to install R
- Download and install the latest version of R from CRAN, the Comprehensive R Archive Network. The link to R-latest.pkg will deliver the latest. Choosing all the defaults on the install works just fine.
2. Install Rattle
Then install Rattle using R's package manager. As a separate step it is usually best to install the RGtk2 package which will download the GTK libraries for Mac OS/X and link them into R. This can take sometime and is a prerequisite for loading Rattle.
Start R and enter the following command at the R prompt. R asks us
to nominate a CRAN mirror. Choose a nearby location.
> install.packages("RGtk2") > install.packages("rattle") > q()
Restart R and then load Rattle with the following two commands at
the R prompt. This loads the Rattle package into the library and
starts up Rattle.
> library(rattle) > rattle()
Note on Installation of Rattle on Mountain Lion
Thanks to Joe Trubisz for this script that he tested on several different machines and confirms it works (15 November 2013).
- Start R
- > install.packages("RGtk2", dependencies=TRUE)
- > install.packages("rattle", dependencies=TRUE)
- Once done, q()
If you have a "unable to load" issue, then you most likely do not have the correct GTK+ library for Mountain Lion. If you have this issue, then kill X11 and R, go to ATT and download: GTK_2.24.17-X11.pkg and install it.
- Restart R
- > library(RGtk2)
Once X11 starts, go to the task bar and select X11->Check for updates. If there is an update, do the update, q() after the update and kill X11. If no update is present, skip to step 8.
- Redo steps 5 and 6 above
Make sure that you can close the window successfully.
If you are here, then you should be able to:
- > library(rattle)
- > rattle()
For trouble shooting see Rattle Install Trouble Shooting.
Copyright © 2006-2017 Togaware Pty Ltd
This site is hosted in the cloud by Web Faction.
Last Modified 2017-09-30 07:10:02 Graham Williams
Shop at Amazon